Tuesday, August 4, 2015

What orphans talk about

Hello my dearest loyal blog reader,

Thursday Thoughts once again! Last week I met my friend Zhala, head of the girls section in the Erbil orphanage. When we meet our conversations are full of emotion, and sometimes anger and frustration. This time she told me a little story that has been on my mind ALL week long. I had to share it with you.
Basically, Zhala and two very young sisters who live in Mali Khanda, the orphanage, (let’s call them A. and I.) were walking out of the orphanage, this is how the conversation went:

A: ZhaZha (that’s what the little ones call Zhala) what does that sign say (pointing to the sign at the entrance of the orphanage) because of that sign people come and play with us and bring us gifts. 
Zhala: It is because you are all smart and lovely children and people like to bring you gifts and spend time with you.
A: But why don’t they go and take gifts to other kids who live in houses, they are also good children and they are smart.
I: No, It’s because we don’t have a mum and dad.

Zhala with A & I in Mali Khanda in Erbil.
Zhala with A & I in Mali Khanda in Erbil.

That last sentence from one sister to another makes me burn from the inside.
You know what is hard to take in? Most of these children are neglected. Only a few have actually lost both their parents, most have a mother or a father still alive. But they know nothing of that parent, and that parent couldn’t care less.

I often wonder how they cope at school when everyone talks about their mother and father, how do they feel when they see other parents drop off their children and pick them up? I wonder how it feels when their friends say “my mummy did this and my daddy got me that”?

I know very well Zhala goes to their open days, concerts at school and takes part in every parent-teacher night there is for the kids she supervises. But these children need a lot more. Each of them needs and wants attention. I see it every time I visit. Each of the kids need endless love, they need attention, they need a loving family to be part of.

I have come to a conclusion that no matter how many toys you give them or how much new clothes you make for them nothing will compensate the emptiness within. Nothing. One of the most ideal ways to solve this issue to establish (it has already been planned out) and approve a foster care program within the Kurdistan parliament. It’s a must!

Until next Thursday
Lots of love from
My Nest in Kurdistan

No comments: